- save life during emergencies and their immediate aftermath;
- provide the necessary assistance and relief to people affected by longer-lasting crises arising, in particular, from outbreaks of fighting or wars,
- carry out short-term rehabilitation and reconstruction work, especially on infrastructure and equipment, in the post-emergency phase;
- cope with the consequences of population movements by means of schemes to assist repatriation and resettlement where appropriate;
- ensure preparedness for the risks concerned and use a suitable rapid earlywarning and intervention system.
A Union humanitarian aid operation can be initiated at the request of the Commission, NGOs, international organisations, Member States or beneficiary countries.