European Union International Technical Assistance Centre (EU ITA Centre) in Belarus was established in 1992 as the Tacis National Coordinating Unit. The main objective of the EU ITA Centre is to assist with the programming and implementation of the EU technical assistance along with the Ministry of Economy and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
The EU ITA Centre provides assistance to the National Coordinator in relations with the European Commission at key stages of the programming and implementation of EU assistance.
In its activities the EU ITA Centre is guided by the following documents: (I) the Law of the Republic of Belarus; (II) the EU-Belarus Framework Agreement signed on 18 December 2008 and (III) the statutes of the National Coordinating Unit approved by the Council of Ministers.
The main functions of the EU ITA Centre are as follows:
- Indicative Programmes (IP):
- to assist in the formulation of national strategy papers for discussion and development of future Indicative Programmes;
- to prepare pre-programming documents in consultation with line ministries, technical agencies and representative groupings and submit these documents to the Delegation.
- Action Programmes (AP):
- to prepare and update pre-programming documents;
- to participate in EC identification missions;
- to identify, analyse and assist in the elaboration of project proposals;
- to assist in the preparation of project Terms of Refernce (ToR), including signed Statement of Endorsements (SoEs).
- Project Implementation:
- to participate in project Steering Committees;
- to monitore project implementation;
- to assist with project administration, i.e. registration, tax exemption, etc.
- Public Awareness:
- to increase visibility of EC assistance in Belarus
- to disseminate relevant information among Government entities as well as regional and local authorities;
- to provide training in EC programme procedures.
- Aid Coordination:
- to maintain and foster links between donors;
- to coordinate international technical assistance.
The EU ITA Centre maintains close contact with the EC Delegation in Belarus and with other international donors.